There are many ways you can get involved with FoHC. Whether its Sponsoring a child, joining a brigade, volunteering, planning an event or legacy giving there are many ways you can help the Children of Honduras.
If you would like more information on Sponsoring a child please click the button below
Join a Brigade
Are you interested in going on a Brigade to Honduras? Brigaders come from all age groups and lifestyles. High school students visit with school trips, and college and university students can also join groups that specifically include their peers. In addition, there are many groups every year that include participants from their late teens up into the retirement years. All that’s needed is a positive attitude and a little flexibility to enjoy the time spent in a developing country. Each brigade leader chooses work projects that vary so that all participants can find meaningful activities to partake in for those of all physical abilities. In addition, there is time spent visiting the different areas that SAN operates to give Brigaders insight into the areas that Canadian donors support.
Please call or contact our office for more information on upcoming Brigades and their costs.
Make a donation
Friends of Honduran Children is working to make a real difference in the lives of real children through our many programs and supports. Your one-time or monthly cash gift can help us erase the memory of an existence defined by despair, fear and heartache, replacing it with the happy, healthy and safe childhood that all children deserve. Give a gift, make a difference, and know that you helped. Should you wish to support our efforts and the outstanding efforts of our Honduran partner, there are several ways that you can make a donation right now. Click the “Donate Now ” button on the right of the screen.
You can also mail your donation to the address below:
To make a gift of shares, please contact us or email@example.com
|Charitable Business Registration Number: 891313199RR0001
Would you like to volunteer with FOHC? We have occasional need for volunteers to help with mailing and other office functions. If you have time to contribute to a committee, such as fundraising or education, we are actively searching for volunteers that could commit a few hours a month to attend meetings and carry out follow-up activities.
Please contact our office at 749-1900 for more information on volunteer activities.
Plan an Event
If you are interested in raising money to support FOHC, here are some ideas:
- Host an event in your home: a brunch, dinner or a dessert evening. Ask for donations from all those who attend.
- If you love music, put on a concert or hold a dance (Latin music is a great way to connect guests to Honduras). Use the opportunity to sell some items by doing draws or silent auctions.
- Artists – create some artwork with friends to sell, with a common theme of children or women perhaps.
- Hold a yard sale (get your whole street involved) or a perennial sale from your flower bed and those of friends.
- Pick a sport you love and do a run or ride for funds with sponsors.
- Schools -get your school involved! Do a read-a-thon, spell-a-thon, or day of silence and get sponsors.
- What about a bake sale or a car wash?
- Kids – collect change, sell lemonade, ask for donations instead of birthday presents – adults can do that too.
The ideas are limitless and we want to hear from you! Send us your fundraising successes for Honduras and we will post them here!
Our volunteers share some of their best fundraisers:
- Homeschoolers in Millbrook, ON held an art show in June 2008 with all projects made by the 17 students aged 5 to 15. The show was a resounding success and raised over $700 for Honduras!
- A Latin Dance was held by the Reyes Irene committee in September 2010, complete with a dance instructor and piñatas. Over $1700 was raised in one evening!
- Parishioners at St Alphonsus church in Peterborough held a perennial sale in May 2008 and raised $250.
- Ann Hobday of Peterborough held a spaghetti dinner in her home in 2007 for 30 guests and raised over $800!
- Grace United Church in Peterborough holds yard sales at the church twice a year, averaging over $1200 per sale!
Our mission is simple yet powerful. We strive to improve the quality of the lives of Honduran children and their families. To meet their basic needs and empower them to break the cycle of deprivation and hardship that controls their lives. Working primarily with our partner Sociedad Amigos de los Ninos in Honduras, we bring our mission to life by:
- rescuing children from a life of poverty and neglect
- supplying food, clothing and shelter
- providing medical and dental care and supplies
- giving love and security
- supporting the teaching of moral values
- investing in sustainable programs, like education and life tools
- enabling a transformation from victims to self-sufficiency
By making a gift in your will, giving securities or naming Friends of Honduran Children (FoHC) as a beneficiary of your RRSP/RRIF you can help us to continue this vital work.
Give With Confidence
FoHC, as a grass roots organization, has helped thousands of children and their families for over 20 years. Because of our dedicated volunteers, we have kept our administration and fundraising costs to a minimum, ensuring that donations are put to work where our donors want them – helping those most in need in Honduras. Contact us to see our audited financial statements and to see how contributions are utilized.
You can continue to make a difference in the lives of children and families in Honduras by leaving a legacy or planned gift to FoHC.
Here are some of the ways you can make that happen:
- Including FoHC as a beneficiary in your will for a specific dollar amount or a portion of your estate
- Donating securities, such as stocks, bonds, or mutual funds
- Including FoHC as a beneficiary of your retirement funds, RRSP, RRIF or pension
- Identifying FoHC as a beneficiary of your life insurance policy
These kinds of gifts are important to be established in the correct legal way. We encourage you to consult with a lawyer to ensure that your wishes are documented appropriately. We also encourage you to discuss your wishes with your family.
If you would like more information about planned giving, please call us at 705-749-1900
When you write your will, you can identify what cash or property are left to Friends of Honduran Children for our efforts to improve the lives of children and families in Honduras. You can also make a residual bequest to FoHC, which is a gift of all or part of what remains after all taxes, expenses, debts and other bequests are paid. Your will could be written as follows (please consult with your lawyer to ensure wording is consistent with the other parts of your will):
“I give to Friends of Honduran Children, PO Box 853, Peterborough, Ontario, the sum of $______ (or _____% of my estate) to be used in its support of children and families in Honduras.”
Gifts of Securities
You can donate stocks, bonds, or mutual fund shares to FoHC. There is no capital gain on donated securities and their market value at the time of the gift is tax deductible. This can be very beneficial to you. For more information on donating securities, please call us at 705-749-1900. Download our securities transfer form.
You may name the FoHC as a direct beneficiary of your Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP) or Registered Retirement Income Fund (RRIF).
When naming FoHC as the beneficiary of all or a portion of your RRSP or RRIF, the amount donated will not be subject to probate and your estate will receive a charitable donation tax receipt for the total amount given.
To include FoHC as the beneficiary of your RRSP or RRIF, simply contact your financial advisor or the institution holding the fund and ask them to change or add to the beneficiary designation.
Life Insurance Policies
You can name FoHC as the beneficiary of a new or existing life insurance policy. A gift of life insurance is separate from your estate and has no effect on its assets. Please consult a financial advisor or lawyer for more information.